Seafood Breadfruit Bowl
This traditional Caribbean dish combines succulent, coconut-flavored seafood with the mild taste of breadfruit. Fry or bake breadfruit pieces, then mix them in a bowl with your favorite seafood, vegetables and herbs for a fragrant and flavorful brunch. Make sure to heat the chilies until they are very aromatic before adding them to the mixture. Serve warm and top with extra chili peppers for an added kick!
- - 1 large breadfruit peeled and cut into cubes
- - 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- - 1 onion diced
- - 2 cloves of garlic minced
- - 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- - 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- - 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- - 2 cups of seafood shrimp, scallops, or fish
- - 2 cups of diced vegetables carrots, bell peppers, celery
- - ½ cup of coconut milk
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - 2 chili peppers finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the breadfruit cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme, allspice and nutmeg and cook for another minute.
- Add the seafood and vegetables to the skillet and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chili peppers. Gently fold in the roasted breadfruit pieces until combined. Serve warm with extra chili peppers if desired!