This flavorful Indian-style breadfruit curry is a great way to use breadfruit when it's in season. The flavor comes from garlic, ginger, and spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin. It can be served with rice or as part of a larger meal with roti or chapati. Breadfruit should be boiled before using it in this dish so that it softens and releases its wonderful nutty flavor. Serve the curry hot with freshly chopped cilantro as a garnish.
- 1 large breadfruit, boiled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- 2. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Add the spices (cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, red chili powder) and stir to combine.
- 4. Add the boiled breadfruit cubes and mix everything together until all of the cubes are coated with the spice mixture.
- 5. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until the breadfruit is cooked through and tender.
- 6. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed. Serve hot with freshly chopped cilantro as a garnish.