Faikakai topai is the basic version of this Tongan dessert composed of dumplings in a sweet coconut syrup. Faikakai Malimali is the banana version.
For the lolo (coconut syrup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream (thick coconut cream)
For the topais (dumplings)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split in half and grated
- 1/2 cup water
- 3q tbps butter
Lolo (coconut syrup)
- Put the sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and dissolve slowly.
- Before reaching boil, add the coconut cream and stir until mixture is thick. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, ½ cup (50g) of shredded coconut, bananas, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together and gradually add ½ cup (100ml) of water to form a fairly dry dough.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and place in the pot of simmering water.
- Gently boil the dumplings for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of shredded coconut and stir until the coconut turns golden.
- Put the dumplings in the pan and coat with coconut for 2 minutes.
- Remove carefully and serve with the coconut syrup.
This recipe was produced by https://www.196flavors.com/tonga-faikakai-malimali/